what are betty getaways?
Hi, I’m Larry, also known as “LarBear” to my family, friends, and clients. I started Betty Getaways because I’m seriously passionate about helping women learn how to explore the outdoors safely—while having fun! Join me on exciting trips where I teach you the essentials of outdoor safety, using the latest technology and techniques! We’ll learn how to conquer any obstacle on your trip, so you can get back to the thrills. I also teach professional level skills like rock climbing, wilderness survival, and back country navigation to beginners. My approach is based on a combination of military experience and my many, many years cultivating an understanding and love of the outdoors.
Join the betty getaways club!
Why, you ask, should you sign up for yet another email list? Because we believe in providing REAL value to you. Read on, and you decide…
- Get our 10 Tips for Safe Backpacking downloadable
- Ask Larry the Bear questions! (he’s like Smokey the Bear, but a little less hairy)
- Get pro level tips that will make any back-country, cycling, or climbing experience extra awesome
- Get first-hand reviews on equipment and techniques to improve your trips
- Access interviews with new back country adventurers like yourself
- Get first dibs on access to our “BIG TRIP” trips, which are custom-built around like-minded adventurers
- Get 25% off our $2k trip, and receive your own back-country chair and Larry’s personally selected GPS and SUUNTO Compass, which you will learn to use on your trip
You need to know the basics before you leap into the wilderness. Living out of a backpack can be challenging, and nature doesn’t forgive when you’re unprepared.
know your shit
We teach you how to prepare, physically and mentally, to plan, pack, notify, go, and—most importantly—make it back!
why we’re qualified
My approach in preparing you for your first adventure is progression-driven. Each skill in this approach builds on what we did 10 minutes ago or the day prior.
want to know if betty getaways is right for you?
meet larry the bear
My name is Larry Finan, I am the owner of Betty Getaways. My story in the outdoors begins over 40 years ago. Growing up in Northern Idaho during the 70’s and 80’s, there wasn’t all of the electronic, or social media distractions we encounter today.
My parents (probably looking for a break) took me and my siblings on family and group camping every summer all over North Idaho from as far back as I can remember. As we got older some of the adventures grew from dirt roads and primitive car camping, to canoe trips, cub/boy scout/explorer camp outs (summer and winter), and backpacking 50 miles or longer. It was through these first experiences my love of the outdoors and back country began.